NOAH manifesto for animal health: what we need from Government to safeguard the health and welfare of UK’s pets and farm animals
NOAH has released its animal health manifesto ahead of the General Election on 8 June.
With Brexit in the spotlight, the manifesto highlights what is needed for the UK to secure a future as a global centre of excellence for animal medicines and why the UK animal medicines industry is important to society and the economy. Candidates across the country, if elected, are called to:
- Make sure the important role of animal medicines is recognised and our sector’s needs included in our Brexit negotiations
- Support incentives to develop innovative treatments and better diagnostics, and to ensure prescribers, farmers and pet owners retain access to a full range of animal medicines
- Ensure decisions about the animal health sector are based on evidence and science
Dawn Howard, chief executive, NOAH, said: “Our industry underpins so much that is valued in British society. The production of food from healthy animals on UK farms; our relationship with the pets that share 44% of British homes – in everything we and our members do at NOAH, we aim to improve the lives of animals through encouraging responsible farming and pet ownership and promoting the safe and responsible use of medicines.
“As we leave the EU, it is so important that Government ensures that what our sector needs to continue to provide the tools to allow our sector to thrive in the UK is included in Brexit negotiations.
“All of our animals – whether pets or farm animals – have a right to the most appropriate treatment if they become sick, to reduce their suffering, to protect their health and welfare and to ensure they can continue to provide companionship or produce safe, nutritious food. This manifesto aims to raise awareness of the issues and encourage support among our future Members of Parliament.”
Notes for Editors
For more information please contact Dawn Howard or Alison Glennon at NOAH on 020 8367 3131 or see www.noah.co.uk
The National Office of Animal Health represents the UK animal medicines industry. Its aim is to promote the benefits of safe, effective, quality medicines for the health and welfare of all animals.
The manifesto is available on the NOAH website here: https://www.noah.co.uk/wp-content/uploads/2017/05/NOAH-Manifesto-2017-6pp-A4-web-version.pdf
To deliver a thriving animal medicines sector, post-Brexit, NOAH has set out a series of priorities that will:
- Support trade and innovation
- Safeguard animal health and welfare and public health and food safety; ensuring that UK veterinarians and animal keepers continue to have access to a wide range of appropriate veterinary medicines.
- Ensure businesses have access to skilled staff – the right workforce they need
- Incentivise product research and development within a regulatory system which continues to be one of the most stringent in the world – making UK the first choice world-leading regulatory authority
- Encourage companies to do business in the UK as unnecessary regulatory burdens are recognised and removed
- Ensure transitional arrangements to support business continuity post EU Exit are built, utilising links with specialist EU infrastructure where necessary