COVID-19 – Information for the animal health sector
Veterinary medicines supply and COVID-19
Veterinary medicines manufacturers always, as a matter of routine, have detailed business continuity plans and are working hard with suppliers to help ensure veterinary medicines remain available to protect the health and welfare of the UK’s animals.
We encourage vets and other prescribers and retailers of veterinary medicines to continue with normal ordering patterns to maintain appropriate and proportionate stocks of veterinary medicines. If this is undertaken, there should be no need for additional stocks.
NOAH works closely with the Veterinary Medicines Directorate (VMD), which has well established mechanisms for dealing with supply issues that arise from time-to-time including robust intelligence-led warning systems to detect potential problems at the earliest point possible. In order to address supply issue concerns, the VMD has enhanced its emergency response plan to support the continued supply of veterinary medicines – whatever the cause.
We would also advise animal owners to heed the advice of the veterinary profession: to discuss the timing of any vaccinations with their vet and urge those whose animals are undergoing long term treatment to seek repeat prescriptions in good time from their veterinary practice.
- Coronavirus (COVID-19): UK government response
- Coronavirus business support – Government hub
- European Commission: Green lanes for border management – veterinary medicines included
- EMA: new system – electronic certification for medicines
- Coronavirus (COVID-19): Government advice for people with animals
- APHA Briefing Note: Advice for Veterinarians and their Clients on Pets and COVID-19
- COVID-19 Government advice on staying at home and away from others
- RCVS Knowledge information hub for veterinary surgeons
- COVID-19: Guidance for the veterinary profession
- COVID-19 Government guidance on key workers
- Government Guidance: COVID-19 – Support for businesses
- Coronavirus Bill
- OIE advice – including advice for pet owners
- Rural Payments Agency: information for farmers, landowners and rural businesses
- RCVS: Q&As and guidance for the veterinary profession
- The VMD remains open for business
- Red Tractor COVID-19 hub