Antibiotics for animals
Good husbandry, biosecurity and hygiene are the cornerstones of protecting animal health and welfare on our farms, and we also need to look after our pets responsibly. However, despite our best efforts, like people, animals can succumb to disease. While many of these diseases can be prevented, for example by vaccination, there will always be cases where animals will need to be treated with antibiotics. These medicines have a vital role in treating, controlling and sometimes preventing the spread of bacterial diseases in our farm livestock and companion animals.
Farmers, vets and all those involved in the care of animals have a moral and legal duty to protect the health and welfare of animals under their care. The UK has some of the highest animal welfare standards in the world with protection provided under animal welfare legislation. Our commitment to safeguarding animal welfare includes the judicious use of antibiotics, prescribed only by a veterinary surgeon when infection and disease would result in pain and suffering.
Another important aspect of antibiotic use is their role in helping vets and farmers with the production of safe food from healthy animals.
Without the use of appropriate antibiotics, pets and farm livestock would endure pain and suffering and the production of safe food could be endangered.
We have produced a series of briefing documents which give more background information on the use of antibiotics for animal health.
- Antibiotics for Animal Health and Welfare: An Overview
- Antibiotic Resistance
- Responsible Use of Antibiotics
- Animal medicines – what you should know
- NOAH welcomes protection of antibiotics for animals and people
- NOAH comments on the investor group campaign in the use of antibiotics in animals
- Veterinary antibiotics – fact not fiction
- Animal medicines sector responds to Lord O’Neill on Antimicrobials in Agriculture Report
- NOAH response to O’Neill Report on Antimicrobials in Agriculture
- All Party Parliamentary Group on Antibiotics report on ‘Non-human use of Antibiotics’ fails to recognise good work already done in animal health – NOAH
- NOAH speaks at RUMA/VMD Conference – Responsible Use: Ideas Into Action
- NOAH supports industry over farm antibiotic use
- Understanding medicines – new NICE antibiotic guidelines support the importance of addressing misconceptions