New NOAH report on the contribution animal health makes to One Health and sustainability
3rd November 2023
To mark One Health Day today, 3 November, NOAH has produced a new report which highlights the contribution the animal health industry makes to One Health and sustainability.
Protecting and improving animal health and welfare not only benefits animals, but also helps to protect human and environmental health while positively contributing to societal sustainability goals. This is because we share One Health – human, animal and environmental health, which are deeply interdependent and interconnected.
Dawn Howard, NOAH Chief Executive says: “The animal health industry is dedicated to a One Health approach to identify and interpret problems, and to find and apply One Health solutions for a healthy balance across all three systems. Achieving this healthy balance is a key element in achieving a sustainable present and future for human and animal health and the health of the planet we share.
“We’re proud to put together this report which outlines examples of where the work of the animal health sector contributes to One Health, and the UK’s sustainability goals,” she said.
To support the animal health industry to continue its positive record, the report includes a number of recommendations which include:
- A robust and future-proofed UK regulatory framework for veterinary medicines, to ensure the availability and accessibility of safe and effective medicines for all animals.
- For all routes of veterinary medicines to market to remain available.
- Providing ongoing training to farmers on disease prevention and responsible use.
- Ensuring funding for research and development of new medicines and solutions remain a priority in the UK.
- Improving collaboration and partnership between human, animal, and environmental sectors to promote finding One Health solutions to One Health challenges.
“With healthy animals contributing to achieving at least 10 out of 17 of the United Nations’ Sustainable Development Goals in its 2030 agenda for sustainable development, to end poverty, ensure prosperity and protect the planet, NOAH members’ efforts in producing and marketing animal health products are pivotal in helping the UK advance and achieve One Health and a sustainable future,” Dawn added.
Notes for Editors
NOAH represents the UK animal health industry. We promote the benefits of licensed medicines and solutions for the health and welfare of all animals.
NOAH’s report ‘The contribution animal health makes to One Health and sustainability’ is available at noah.co.uk/One-Health-Report
One Health is “an integrated, unifying approach to balance and optimize the health of people, animals, and the environment”.